Thursday, January 14, 2010

All Is Well

Francesco had his surgery this morning and all went well. We are now home and he will probably be bouncing off the walls by noon. He is suppose t o take it easy today according to the doctor (she doesn't know him all that well).

I was so right about this time being much harder for me. I know he only had two minor "procedures" but it was rough. I have assisted in many more complicated and lengthy surgeries on other kids but when it's your own child it's hard no matter what.

The first thing he said when I got him up this morning was, "can I have something to eat?", when I said no he threw a fit. It's a good thing they do not allow anyone to eat or drink in the Pre-op Waiting area. (Which by the way was extremely dark, and I was not about to use my flash)

The Versed did not make him groggy like the last time. He threw a fit about putting on the hospital gown and the ID bracelet. Since he was pretty upset I was allowed to bring him back to the procedure room. I then held him on my lap while they put him under anesthesia. He really fought the mask and the look in his eyes made me cry instantly. He had that look like, "why are you letting them do this to me". My heart literally broke right then and there.

He woke up they way we went down kicking and screaming. That was tougher on Michael to watch. He is a good 41 lbs and really strong. He had boughts of calm and then rage. He did eventually settle down as we were leaving to go home. He held a cereal bar in his hand and feel asleep. The saddest thing is that when he cries right now his tear are blood tinged. It bad enough he's crying but now it blood. Poor guy.

He just attempted to get up and is still a little unstable on his feet. He said to me "strawberries make me sleepy". When they gave him the anesthesia gas they put a scent in it and he picked strawberry. So much for the Versed which is suppose to be an amnesic so he does not remember. He also a little loopy and saying strange things. He is eating and drinking really starting to clear.


Here it is noon and as I said when I started this post he is now bouncing off the wall's. I did get him to sit for a minute and as you can see he is doing just fine. He is refusing to take a nap and running around with his dump truck, so much for taking it easy.

Thank you to all of you who kept us in your prayers. It felt good to know that others were thinking of us. You're an awesome bunch of friends!


  1. I am so glad it is over. Miller had tubes, but he was only 9 months old and obviously clueless. I can't imagine how hard it was for you guys.

  2. So glad it's over and behind you. Whew! You need to have a good cry/bath/glass of wine tonight after everyone is in bed.

  3. Oh dear, reading that first part just made me so sad for you and him both. :o( How hard. But he's obviously not about to let a little thing like surgery get him down. I'm glad he's feeling better already! (hugs!)

  4. I am so glad he is feeling better now, but wow, that first part of your day with the surgery sounds like it was so hard! (((hugs))) to both of you. At least it is done and over and all went well.

  5. The words "minor procedure" are supposed to calm you and make you feel better, but if it's your kid then there's really nothing "minor" about it. I'm glad he bounced back so quickly.

    (And I love your love light photos to go along with the post. It was almost like being there.)

  6. It always amazes me how quickly kids recover and bounce back. I am so glad he is doing well.

  7. I'm so glad it went well and that it's over! What a handsome (and grown up!) guy he is turning into!