Sunday, November 28, 2010

When in doubt and true to form.

I was questioning Nicolò's language development over the past few months. The only gauges I have are Francesco who, once started, never stopped and the girls in his class that speak like little women. The other day one of the girls from his class saw me in the hallway and said, "Hi, Nicolò's mommy! Are you coming to take him home now?" The most I get out of him, with prompting, is to just say Hi. Then when I get to his classroom I am inundated by the girls explaining to me what he did today, if he followed the rule, if he was nice, where his cubby is, etc. Nicolò is in the corner dressing his Matchbox car in a Barbie dress.
So in my mind I questioned and I was concerned.
I then took him on Wednesday for a follow-up Hearing Test and Ear Check (he has those wonderful tubes). He aced the hearing test and his tubes were in and clear. Since I was concerned I told the Audiologist and the Nurse Practitioner my fears that he was behind. I wasn't sure so, when in doubt...ask.
They were great, they reassured me, gave me handouts on where he should be at 2. 2 1/2 and 3 years of age. These handout also had tips on how to foster more language development.
So I took these handouts and was on a mission to figure out how "behind" he was. They also said if I felt he was really behind to talk with his Pediatrician about it.

Well...I began to question, test and listen to him all the time.

True to form, Nicolò decides to prove me wrong. Just like the last time when I told the Pediatrician he didn't put two word together. The next day he was doing just that. Since I said something, I SWEAR, he has gone through a major language leap. It may also be that with my concern and the handout I was tuning into him more, but I am floored by the resent developments.

So the next time I am worried about a developmental milestone I am going to bring it up to the doctor sooner so he can prove me wrong...again.

I don't like to be wrong, but in these cases I am good with that!
**Update 11/29/10 - last night (or really early this morning, let's say 4ish) Nicolo was sitting up in his bed, calling for me. When I go to see what was wrong he point to his sheet and say, "look a snowman." Can someone please smack me, what's that saying...careful what you wish for!

nico_rainbow-10


Calvin: Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. I wonder why we think faster than we speak.
Hobbes: Probably so we can think twice.
~Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

4 comments:

  1. They have a way of surprising us don't they?

    I hope he keeps making leaps and bounds with his language skills!

    And that photo???? ADORABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raya is currently in speech therapy, so I feel where you're coming from. So awesome that he's surging ahead with his language now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful that he is starting to pick it up! Kai was a bit delayed, too. It just took him a bit longer to get the grasp of it. Now he is just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the way it always works, isn't it?! As soon as we start to worry about something, they go and prove us wrong. I love being wrong. :o) Of course it also works the other way, and as soon as we brag on them they prove us wrong there too. :oP

    ReplyDelete