Monday, January 28, 2008

Bubbie 5 - Mommy/Daddy 3

I am not ready to give up but at present we appear to be losing the battle. I am trying to take away the middle of the night/early morning bottle with minimal success.

Bubbies is 18 months and 32 lbs., I really don't think he needs a bottle at that time anymore. I can't believe that he is hungry, he is not malnourished (you've seen his picture). I just don't know why he continues to want a bottle.

I was trying the whole cold turkey approach. I thought things were good over the weekend. He did get up early 5:00-5:30 but I was OK with that. We got up, made coffee, played a bit and ate breakfast at his normal 6:15-6:30 time. He was ready for a nap earlier and slept 3 hours each day (not a bad thing)but otherwise was fairing well.

Last night we appeared to be back to square one. He was up at one and fuzzed (occasionally screamed)for two hours. We tried to give him a sippy cup with water. That did not go over well. We eventually broke down and gave him a bottle (we were exhausted).

Is he thirsty? Why won't he take the water? Is he hungry? He can't be. Is it just habit? I have to get him to give this bottle up. I am not taking the bedtime bottle away (just yet), but I can't have him up every night for a bottle at age 2. We have a new baby on the way and I really, really, really need him to sleep through the night.

Does anyone one have any suggestions. Desperately seeking advise!

3 comments:

  1. I hate to tell you this, cuz I know that no one wants to hear it, but I think the cold turkey method is the only one that works well. The first night will be the hardest. The second night is rough. But the third night is usually bliss. Like you said, you know he doesn't really need it. He is used to it.
    Good luck, and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had some advise for you but neither kids took bottles or pacifiers so I had to soothe and rock them to sleep, eventually they do not need it. Then I am sad that they grow up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, how is operation "take away the bottle" going? Are you getting anymore sleep?
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today!
    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete