Friday, October 30, 2009

I've been converted!

To say it's been a hectic week is a little bit of an understatement. So much to do with so little time. I usually do not mine being busy, I find hard to sit still anyway. My body on the other hand gave me a little message yesterday telling me to slow it down.

I woke up yesterday on a idle Thursday morning with my heart racing. I sat up and knew right away what wrong. Nine years ago I woke up with the same thing, A-fib. For those who don't know what that is, it an heart arrhythmia where the upper chamber of the heart quivers and is not in sync with the lower part. Basically its a rapid disorganized heartbeat. (Now I know I am not the most organized person but this is going beyond my control.)

Last time I had this I was given a medication that slowed down my heart rate and I eventually converted to a Normal heart rhythm on my own. That time they felt it was caffeine and stress induced. This time I know I did not have that much caffeine. The stress on the other hand...who isn't nowadays?

So I went to the hospital and sure enough I was in rapid A-fib at 180 beats a min. No wonder I felt like I was running a marathon. They gave me Cardizem which slowed the rate down and made it much easier to breath. Then all my lab work was great and my Echo was pristine. The Cardiologist wanted to try a medication, Rythmol, before attempting too. So 2 hours after the Rythmol still no P waves, never thought I would be missing my P waves so much.

Next stop...Cardioversion. For those who don't know what that is...they zap you with defibrillator. Doesn't that sounds like fun? So I bought myself a ticket to the Cardiac Center for the procedure, they did put me out and I didn't feel a thing. All I remember was saying to the 2 women giving me the medication to sedate me that they were "very pretty" and next thing I remember was talking to my husband. I then said to him, "how long does it take for this medicine to kick in?" Everyone laughed because I was done at this point and more importantly I was in Sinus Rhythm (normal heartbeat)!

Needless to say, I am now perfectly fine. They don't know what brought this episode on, most likely stress. I am not on any medications, which is a good thing. I am really great at telling patients what to do but I really stink at being the patient.

So what do you do when you are ordered to take the day off? You have time to write at blog post about the ordeal and you make yourself a blog button.

What do you think?

Good news. I got my camera back, yippee!


  1. I would have been petrified! I'm glad your okay and that you feel up to having a good sense of humor about it.

    And yay for getting your camera back. Photos please! ;-)

  2. egads girl.
    How scary.
    Take CARE of yourself. Those boys (all three) NEED you.

  3. chelle stole my word.... egads! You retell this so calmly! Hope your boys have a great time tot'ing!

  4. Yikes Cara!!! I know how totally freaky anything with the heart is, and just reading your story got me jumpy! I have an implantable defibrillator/pacemaker and it's discharged on me dozens of I know from personal experience just how much fun that is. (not very, haha!)So glad you're okay now. Now - TAKE IT EASY!!

  5. OMG Cara!! You called and left me a message yesterday telling me about a stinkin' yard sale in your community, but you neglected to mention this. What the heck!! And about this stress.....I've told you time and time again you have to start relaxing! You need to stop worrying so much! I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to my best bud! :)

  6. OH goodness! I hope you are feeling much better now. Darn that stress!

    Oh, and yay on the camera getting back! I need to do that, but not sure how??? I don't think I can let her go for that long. ;)

  7. I like it :)
    Glad you're okay. Stress is such a monster isn't it?
    I like that you told the ladies they were pretty. See, you're sweet even when stresses.

  8. I'm glad you're ok. I had no idea doctors could fix that with a defib treatment. Seems a little odd to me. But on the other hand it's good you recognized it right away. :)

  9. Oh my goodness. I am so glad you are ok. That must have been SO scary. Take it easy, will ya? I know easier said than done.

  10. OMG, Cara!! So scary...glad you are ok!