Tuesday, July 15, 2008

First day back

Let's me start out by saying that the end of the day was much better than the beginning.

So for my first day back to work, after 13 weeks on maternity leave, I decided to get up early to prepare for the day. I ventured down the steps to go make a bottle and the formula for the day and smell the pungent odor of gas. At first I thought I was have olfactory hallucinations but as I got to the kitchen it was stronger. I looked to the stove and one of the knobs was not in the full upright position. It was turn just between "off" and "lite". I quickly turned it off, flung the sliding glass door open and called for G to grab the kids.

I take the baby and run outside with him. I soon realize we are standing on a wet deck in the puring rain. Nicolo looks at me like "what is Gods name are you doing women?" G gets to the door and says just open all the windows for a few minutes and go back upstairs.

So after a few minutes of all the doors and window open the smell was gone. The kids were awake, hungry and cranky. Francesco doesn't like it when his beauty sleep is disrupted, but as soon as the Backyardigans started to dance on the TV he forgot all about it. Thank God for TiVo!

After that fiasco the rest of the "getting ready to leave" went pretty good. I could have done with a little less whine during the process but we managed.

Now we are at the daycare, and early for that matter. It also pouring down rain. So I get the baby in the stroller, the bags under him and on my back and Francesco out of the booster seat, all while trying to hold and umbrella so Nicolo is not soaked. Francesco again had quite a bit of whine for me and the inability to walk on his own. Let me just say that during all this Nicolo is just sitting there not making a sound, he is so darn patient.

We finally make it to school and everyone gets situated in their respected classroom. I take a deep breathe and leave. I then realize I never told anyone about when the baby last ate, how much, last diaper, or even when he got up that morning. So I have to go all the way back, it really not that far, to give them the details and pray they don't think I am an irresponsible mother.

All of that gets taken care of and as I step outside to go to my office....it had stopped raining. Go figure on that one.

Needless to say rest of the day was good. Pick-up went well and G even got home 2 minutes after us so I was able to cook dinner. Again, Nicolo took a 30 min. nap once we got home and you didn't hear a peep out of him. We did have more whine with dinner but the wine I had cancelled out the whine Francesco had.

Day 2 can't go any worse so I am not stressing about that and am looking forward to getting us all into a nice routine. Time will tell!


  1. wow. working moms always amaze me. I cannot imagine being that organized! I would be the mom to forget one of her kids or something!

    I am glad the rest of the day went smoothly.

  2. WOW, what a day! The good thing is, after that start it's all downhill form here. :o)

    "the wine I had cancelled out the whine Francesco had." LOVE THAT!!! hehe!

  3. Wine is mom's time out, don't ya know! I'm glad it wasn't the end of the world. And, congrats on making it back.

  4. I totally understand the pull to return to work! I just started working part-time out of our home in January and I love it...It gives me some adult time and I think it is good for me AND the kids because I am happier! Sorry your first morning back was so crazy! Hope its gone smoother since!